Monday, November 9, 2009

Almost Finished!

Hey Guys,

So today I had my second to last treatment, and it was pretty rough. I started getting nauseous on my way to the hospital - I think it was a psychosomatic thing. Just anticipating the treatment is starting to make me feel sick, so that makes me even more happy that I'm almost done.

For some reason, the IV kytril didn't work getting rid of my nausea, and I had hoped that if I ordered lunch it might go away, but no luck. It took a few different pills (including zofran and pill kytril) and some ginger tea before I started feeling relatively normal.

I got a little bit of a surprise today - when my dad stopped by to drop off some lunch for my mom, he ran into the dad of a girl I graduated from high school with. Her mom was diagnosed with breast cancer recently, and they were at Children's because their daughter who's Brian's age has been having migraines. Once she was done with her appointment, they stopped by to visit, which was really nice! We got to hang out for a little bit, and it was good that they stopped by because I had wanted James to visit, but he wasn't allowed since the flu restrictions were put in place.

Child Life (the program that supplies toys & things to kids in the hospital) has kind of stopped visiting me since I never ask for anything from them. However, we were in Kroger the other night and found the most AWESOME Disney Princess coloring book that came with 600 stickers. I'm in the process of coloring pictures for all of my friends... I forgot how much I love coloring!!!

This weekend I went up to Cleveland and had a really great time seeing all of my friends - Marina came over on Friday night and stayed in my apartment. We went out to dinner with some of the girls, and then watched The Proposal and drank wine with Erin. Saturday morning, Marina and I had brunch at First Watch in Crocker Park and visited the farmer's market. I ended up going over to Oberlin & hanging out with Matt for a little bit, but I didn't get to see him long since his parents were in town. That night, I FINALLY got to hang out with Josh - it was so wonderful to see him after so long! We ended up at the bar (where another drunk guy kept rubbing my head!) and then went back to my apartment with Erin and watched The Matrix Reloaded (which is a terrible movie). Sunday I got to have lunch with Gene and then drove home. We had dinner at my grandparents, which was SO delicious - ham with green beans, AND a  roast, plus tons of veggies and an apple tart and a pumpkin pie.

I can't wait for the week to go by so I can finally be finished with all of this nonsense!!!

Lots of Love,
Lauren

3 comments:

  1. I was so on the edge of psychosomatic nausea for my last 4 or 5 treatments. Those are the ones I actually felt sick durring. IV Ativan was what they gave me and it worked like a charm. It also put me to sleep but it was worth it while that 2 hour bag of "D" went in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep seeing you mention Childrens, is that where your getting treatment at? I always thought the Children places like that were...well for children? I mean, that's totally awesome if they treat young adults. Those places always seem more...friendly and fun compared to the adult hematology/oncology centers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @christine - children's hospital in cincinnati treats you up to 30 as long as you have what is considered a "childhood" illness... i'm so lucky they took me!

    ReplyDelete