Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Spicy Veggie Dumpling Soup for One


I recently bought (on a whim) a bag of veggie dumplings from Jungle Jim's. These are one of my FAVORITE frozen purchases ever. I don't generally buy a ton of frozen food, but these swayed me because they're so simple: the ingredients are kimchi (spicy cabbage), sliced radish, onion, ginger, soy, and wheat flour. Real food! I've been snacking on them a lot, and last night I decided I wanted to try my hand at a broth-based soup. I threw it together without a real recipe, and I was pretty pleased.



Ingredients
Serves 1 for a meal, 2 for a side

1/4 cup matchstick carrots
1/4 cup matchstick zucchini
1/4 cup roughly cut onion
1/2 clove onion, minced
1 cup chicken broth (I used homemade broth, but if you're buying it definitely get low sodium)
1 cup water
6 frozen veggie dumplings
salt to taste
splash of soy sauce
red chili paste to taste

Directions

1) Put broth and water into a medium-sized cooking pot. Add onion and garlic, and bring to a rolling boil. Cook for approximately 5 minutes.
2) Add carrot and soy sauce, boil for another 5 minutes. 
3) Turn heat down to a simmer, add zucchini and dumplings. Cook until dumplings are done (follow your packaging)
4) Serve in a bowl, and garnish with your desired amount of red chili paste.

There are a couple things I would do differently if I made this soup again: 

1) I'd add some sesame oil or miso for a little more depth. This was pretty one dimensional, even with the added layer of the chili paste.

2) I'd slice up a little ginger, and maybe add in some mushrooms for some extra earthiness.

I think this would also be really good with udon noodles instead of dumplings, and you can always add whatever vegetables you have lying around. Yum!



No comments:

Post a Comment