Monday, February 13, 2012

Monday Night: Box Wine

Each Monday night, I'm going to highlight something that might help bring a little more pleasantness to your week. This week it's BOX WINE!

*as a disclaimer, I know nothing about wine, except what I like and don't like. 



Watch out, Franzia - I'm doing an exploration of the higher-quality box wines, and so far I'm feeling super positive. 

Black Box Merlot is a fantastic "leisure wine" - it has enough flavor to stand alone, but it's not so heavy that it needs food. Another plus for casual wine drinkers is that it has a pretty grapey flavor, especially at the first sip, so it's a pretty enjoyable drink.

I'm not a big drinker, but I like the occasional glass of red wine (sometimes accompanied by a bubble bath) at the end of a long day of work. I never kept wine around my apartment, because I'm not able to finish a whole bottle before it would go bad. Jim suggested trying box wine, and I was skeptical, because all I could think of was the Franzia people would drink in college! After a couple weeks of consideration, I finally cracked and bought a Black Box.

Box wine is perfect for the person who likes the occasional glass of wine, but doesn't want to down a whole bottle quickly. Black Box (as most box wine brands) holds 4 standard bottles of wine, and will last approximately 4 weeks open on your counter (I've been told, though, that it will probably last longer than that!)



drinking wine, reading up on some classics.
I would definitely recommend you guys try this, especially if, like me, you don't have tons of money to spend on fancy wine, and you cringe at the thought of having to let half a bottle go to waste just so you can have a relaxing drink (or two) once in a blue moon.

I got my box at Jungle Jim's, which has an awesome selection of box wine. I've got my eye on a couple other types to try as soon as I finish my Black Box (which may be a while). This box cost about $20, and was about the middle of the road, price wise.

Go get some!



No comments:

Post a Comment