Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Best Chocolate Chip Cookies Ever (SERIOUSLY I'M NOT EVEN KIDDING)




In honor of Valentine's day, and because I just baked these for my boyfriend, I give you cookies. You might think I'm lying, but these really are the best chocolate chip cookies I have EVER made. They're in the top 3 chocolate chip cookies I've ever eaten. Maybe top 2, but we'll say top 3 just to be generous.

They're huge and soft - gooey if you pull them out at the early end of the baking time, soft and brownie-like if you leave them in for the whole 17 minutes.

I haven't even tried another chocolate chip cookie recipe since I found this. Let's get into the details...

The secret to these cookies is the ratio of dry ingredients to wet ingredients. There is a TON of flour and brown sugar. This will probably scare you the first time you make them. There is also a ton of butter, a regular amount of egg, and NO LIQUID. That's the secret: the massive amount of brown sugar and butter give these cookies the most amazing caramel-y flavor. Since there's hardly any white sugar, and a fairly generous does of salt, the batter has an awesome salty/sweet thing going on. When you add dark chocolate chips, don't expect these to sit around too long.



This recipe is a slightly modified version of "Felix K.'s 'Don't even try to say these aren't the best you've ever eaten, because they are' Chocolate Chip Cookies," which can be found on allrecipes.com. I've made a couple very minor changes that adjust flavors to my own taste.

Ingredients makes approx. 24 cookies
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoon sea salt (or to taste)
1 cup butter, softened
2 cups brown sugar
5 tablespoons white sugar
2 eggs
4 teaspoons vanilla extract (or to taste)
1 bag dark chocolate chips

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 300
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt
3. In a large bowl, combine softened butter and both sugars, beating with electric mixer until mostly smooth. Add eggs one at a time, and beat in vanilla with the second egg.
4. Gradually add flour mixture until just combined (I do this with my hands. The mixture will be EXTREMELY difficult to mix, and very dry. This is good!)
5. Add chocolate chips (again, I do this with my hands.)
6. Divide dough into 24 3-tablespoon sized balls. Place 12 balls of dough on each cooking sheet, and gently flatten each ball until it is about 2/3" thick.
7. Cook 15-17 mins. 15 minutes will result in gooy-centered cookies, 17 minutes will result in a slightly drier, but still soft, cookie.




The brown sugar I used in my latest batch was a little clumpy, and resulted in some awesome surprise pockets of brown sugary goodness. Don't worry if your batter has brown sugar lumps!

Also, sometimes (usually) I don't measure exactly 3 tablespoons for each dough ball. I usually eyeball the first one, and then just try to make them all about that same size. This will result in a varying number of cookies - this batch ended up as 20, with a tiny bit of batter left over for "testing."

Feel free to experiment with fillings - I prefer extra dark chocolate chips, but I've also been known to use other flavors of chips (white chocolate, butterscotch) or to add nuts to the mix. If I use sweeter chocolate chips, I cut down the white sugar by a tablespoon. Then again, I don't like my cookies super sweet!


No comments:

Post a Comment