Friday, July 31, 2009

on the upside...



Hey Guys,

I've been thinking the past few days and I've realized that despite all of the really crappy side effects of the chemo, there are actually a few that I've been really enjoying! (I know that probably sounds really weird)

1) hair loss means ALL hair - not just on your head... this means that I haven't had to shave my legs or under my arms in a few weeks - which is great for the summer

2) hair loss also means shorter showers - a time AND money saver... especially when I'm used to having too much hair, which clogged the shower drains and took forever to wash & dry

3) freckles! I've always wanted freckles, and I've noticed in the past few days that the chemo has been giving me tiny little freckles on my cheeks - apparently they're only temporary, but I'm enjoying them while they last!

4) the BEAUTIFUL skin that is the result of a combo of chemo drugs & bactrum (the antibiotic I have to take twice a day on Mon, Tues, Wed to prevent a chemo-specific strain of pneumonia). My skin is fantastic - clear, smooth, and glowing like I've gotten a facial (but not)

5) people in public assume that because I'm bald, I'm either on chemo or really edgy (since I still have a tiny bit of hair as well as eyebrows and eyelashes), so they're always clearing the way for me to walk through or holding doors... nobody wants to mess with a bald girl

6) I don't have to worry about my hair messing up in the rain... I can just wipe of my head and be done with it! (I still have to worry about my makeup running, though...)


...That's my list for now. I'm not sure I'll come up with much more, but I'm glad there are at least a few good things coming out of this!

Also, I have a funny story to share...

Today I was at IKEA with my family, looking for a futon for Andrew's dorm. So far, I haven't had any issues with strangers commenting at my bald head, and few instances of anyone staring (even little kids). However, today there was a little girl that made me laugh so hard I started crying... I was walking through the store and passed a tiny girl and her bald dad... She was maybe two, three at the oldest. She starts pointing and yelling "That girl has no hair!" I smiled and waved at her, and her dad looked mortified - he picked her up, and she kept yelling - even AFTER he put a pacifier in her mouth and tried to take her around the corner. We ran into them later, and he looked so embarrassed, but I don't particularly care - little kids are basically uncontrollable with what they say! The fact that she was so insistent about it made me laugh so hard - I can imagine that I was probably like that as a
little kid. My mom says I would never stop talking.

Lots of Love,
Lauren

ps here are some pictures of me decked out in a couple of wigs from the opera... Thanks to James Geier for letting me try them on!
Me as Susanna from the Marriage of Figaro


Me as Carmen from... well... Carmen - I look good as a gypsy

1 comment:

  1. Am loving your blog. This is in your past, and it is my current reality.

    ReplyDelete